Restoring Store Data

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Restoring Store Data

I am running with the trial version and trying to get as much worked out as I can.

I tried backing up my effort to date and installing the demo data, but that did not help much, so I decided to restore my data. I unistalled the demo data and tried to restore.

How do I restore a backup? There are three files generated. The instructions state the directories to upload the contents of design.zip and products.zip, and I have done that, but for the script just states to run it. Run it where on what? I do not know where the data is supposed to go.

Two other points:
    1) The demo data added an account which was not deleted when I uninstalled the demo data.
    2) Uninstalling the demo data also deleted my data that I had created. Installation of the demo data added to the data, but uninstallation of the demo data took out everything.

If you will notice you get a warning popup dialog box when you mess with the demo data. We remove all data, put in some sample data. IF you remove demo data, it removes all the products and orders and your store starts fresh... it doesn't pick and choose what data is there, and it's just for demo purposes... it doesn't pick through the data, and that warning message should be an indication of this... it's really just there to get someone looking at products quickly. Easycart is not meant to have you install some data, remove it all, install other data, remove it, install other data.

IF you did do a backup, you would need to run the SQL script using your database tools on your webhost. Most use PHPMyAdmin to run SQL on the database, of course it is not ideal. We may be removing this backup feature all together as it's confusing doing only easycart data, some think it's doing all of wordpress, others don't know how to reinstall... but a better approach we are finding is to use full backup plugins designed just for this purpose OR your webhost for full host snapshots.

thanks

Comment

I do not know where EasyCart wrote the data so I have no idea how to restore. How is it that the other two files to restore (the .zip files) had precise places specified to restore to, but this script does not?

In order to use what you call a better approach, I would need to know where EasyCart is writing to anyway. Why don't you just tell me? It figured something out. Tell me what it figured out. Or how to find this myself.

Comment

sorry for your confusion... The SQL database file doesn't get written anywhere? it is downloaded if it exports the data correct. Once downloaded it will be in a .sql format file. It does not write to the server this file... and it's not a file you can upload and work, it has to be processed by your database engine using an import tool such as found in phpmyadmin that most hosts offer.

Comment

Sure, the SQL tables get written. How does EasyCart determine where it writes it to, and why can't it tell me that? Hidden options like this make it difficult for me to understand the setup.

Comment

If you are talking about the SQL, then just open the file in text editor and you can read which tables it gets written to... I am assuming you know that the database is not a file, and is not something you can view in a file manager.

Comment

Hi There, we had a catastrophic server failure, twice this week. the first time, everything came back up, no problem. The second time it was down for 14 hours, so we pushed up our time frame to migrate to a 1and1 server package we had purchased in July. Short story is, everything imported just fine with the plug in All-in-one WP Migration tool, but no products or customers are showing! I can find the photos that were associated with the different products and what not, but no data to link to. How do i connect the product data back to WP Easy Cart. I know it is probably a super easy fix, but alas i only know enough to cause dbase connection errors!

Comment

I believe the resolution was made to this by getting an accurate SQL backup from the older database WITH data and structure....

Comment

Working...
                X