Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Paypal upgrade to express - do I need to?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paypal upgrade to express - do I need to?

getting this message in Settings/Payment;
    You are currently using an outdated version of PayPal! Please upgrade to PayPal Express as soon as possible. Click to Upgrade to PayPal Express

Do we need to do this?

Yes, we have removed PayPal standard as they are moving everyone toward the PayPal express platform and API system as it's much better and has more diverse options and smart buttons. We offer the free edition of easycart with 3 payment gateways now, paypal express, stripe, and square with 2% application fees. Anyone who is licensed on the Pro or Premium get all our gateways and 0% application fees with us.

Comment

I see you failed to mention that you need to have a Paypal business account in order to use Paypal Express, which I don't, and I have not had a paypal account long enough so they denied it. That sucks!

Comment

Yes, you can use stripe, square, or paypal express depending on if you qualify with them I guess. I never heard of a business account being hard with paypal other than verifying your bank account information with them which takes a couple days as they do deposits. You might just call and ask them in person what the deal is. If you have a legitimate business online, it shouldn't be a problem... but a good question to ask them about.

Comment

I hit the Upgrade option in our dashboard of easycart and was taken off to Paypal where I had 2 options on the left upgrade to a Business account or on the right just Upgrade. As not sure what that does to our Paypal account didn't complete it yet. We do not want to go with a business account as if I remember correctly the Paypal charges per transaction go up and as we turn over such a small amount that is not really wanted. Do Paypal increase the per transactions on the Express side? Not sure what to do. P.s We purchased our WP Easycart in December 2016 and our Easycart account screens say we are on A "Standard" version but the Paypal comparison screen just lists Pro and Premium. So what are we on? p.s. We also use Stripe payment gateway.
          Last edited by Adseasycart; 05-09-2018, 04:52 PM.

Comment

We have upgraded to Paypal Express otherwise known as a Business account, but - Big but, The Easycart "CART" page now has the Paypal payment option but not the Stripe payment option, How do we remove the Paypal links on the CART page to force all customers to go with shipping and checkout to then be given the option to use Stripe (credit cards) as opposed to being forced off to Paypal from the CART page. Please help.

Comment

Adeasycart - I think you can ask paypal those questions, we are not the payment processor and they would know best what the difference is between their product line and regular account or business account, but I personally have never heard of different fees, and going to business account is really simple and something a business should do anyway... but you can learn more here: https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/paypal-fees. You are on the Professional edition, as you had an older standard edition that was discontinued and we gave all standard users a path to professional for free.

Tonyjustlasered - I would look again, if you have paypal express + stripe running, your cart area should have 'checkout' or 'pay with paypal' on it. The point of paypal express is you can checkout right from the cart, fill in on paypal all your info, then it returns you via a window to your final payment page to submit.

OR

the user should be able to checkout and fill in regular shipping/billing and then payment info with stripe at the end on the final payment page and submit. Both methods run, but completely different flows. This is on purpose and I personally like to checkout on my phone with paypal because I can do it in less clicks, but if I"m on a computer, I like to go through the checkout and pay, in your case with stripe...

Comment

further changes; If I put the following CSS into our theme the result is the first CART page display hides the Paypal option but it also hides it on ec_page=checkout_payment -- which we don't want to happen. So any ideas on how to hide paypal on the first CART page display would be helpful. CSS code used was #paypal-button-container {display: none;} placed in Additional CSS in wordpress theme appearence.

Comment

I don't think you can turn it off prior to this process... paypal's new system is designed to work this way, but maybe someone else in the community will come up with a way to do what you need. As we have it designed, it is meant to be on the cart page, then let customers checkout OR pay with paypal... removing it from this first location will only hurt your conversions in our opinion as many users like quicker checkouts.

Comment

Just to clarify; under the CART page Paypal gold button there are 4 credit card images, if a customer that wants to use a credit card rather than Paypal they could easily use one of those buttons but end up in Paypal express and paying without requiring a paypal account, OK we understand that, But, Stripe charges less than Paypal so if those customers that want to pay from their credit cards end up paying with paypal then we are losing out because our costs are higher. Do you see where we are coming from now?

Comment

Sure, makes sense I think... PayPal's system feeds these smart buttons. They actually changed based on a number of variables like where you are coming from globally or what device you are using to enable venmo and others.... we don't control that section, paypal feeds those smart buttons in this new integration, which is the cool part... but yes, customers can pay right there with a credit card and it will also process through paypal's express system. Stripe, Square, Authorize, First Data, these live processors that process on your site will only occur on the last page of checkout... PayPal express is the only one that does this before the cart checkout. If you do not feel you like it there, then you will need to just disable paypal. I don't think the fee difference on those two is to much though? pretty similar aren't they?

Comment

Originally posted by jjones View Post
                        pretty similar aren't they?
                        No Paypal is 3.4 to 3.9 percent plus 20p whereas Stripe is 1.4% +20p European cards or 2.9% +20p for non European cards. so paypal charges more.

Comment

Ah, interesting, that is quite the spread... didn't realize this was a european situation either. I just talked with Matt, the PayPal standard system is still in the Pro & Premium right now, so you might go in and just disable express and use paypal regular. It will eventually be phased out as they are moving toward this standard and the IPN that is on the older standard method is finicky at best with WordPress, but that should work for a while...

I was looking at this sheet for paypal: https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/paypal-fees

Comment

Originally posted by jjones View Post
                            Ah, interesting, that is quite the spread... didn't realize this was a european situation either. I just talked with Matt, the PayPal standard system is still in the Pro & Premium right now, so you might go in and just disable express and use paypal regular. It will eventually be phased out as they are moving toward this standard and the IPN that is on the older standard method is finicky at best with WordPress, but that should work for a while...

I was looking at this sheet for paypal: https://www.paypal.com/us/webapps/mpp/paypal-fees
                            Interesting your charges are different to ours in Europe. We have now updated Paypal to a Business account so going back to Standard doesn't really matter and the Paypal charges haven't changed anyway. I have put some extra text on our Cart page above and below the [ec_cart] link. https://justlasered.co.uk/cart/

The UK version of that paypal fees link is different to yours in the US!
                            Last edited by Tonyjustlasered; 05-10-2018, 09:21 AM.

Comment

So ya, you can still flip easycart pro or premium back to the standard method though, this will remove it from the cart's startup page... you can keep the business account, I don't think that influences the fees, at least here in the states it doesn't... but I was referring to the flow you wanted... go back to the original method where you keep customers on the last checkout page as it was before... just turn off paypal express...

Comment

Working...
                              X