Setting up a test system

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Setting up a test system

I am currently on an old Standard edition and preparing for an upgrade to a current Pro edition. I have a test system that basically mirrors the production system - I copy the WP files and database and change a couple email addresses and domains and that seems to work fine. I'm wondering what will happen with the Pro edition when I activate the test system and it has the same license as the live system. If that's going to interfere with production, will there be a way to switch the test system to a trial license if I need to test EasyCart stuff?

EasyCart's registration page says "You may also enter your license key into a new website and it will automatically transfer your license to the new site." so that's the cause of my concern. It sounds like when I activate the test system, it will take over the license from the live system. Do I then have to re-register the live system to fix things, and does that happen immediately or is the site left crippled for some period?

My test system is currently in the Pro Edition trial period and I've gone as far as dropping all the ec_% tables, deleting all wp_options with names like ec_% and wp_easycart_license_info but when I reactivate the EasyCart plugins, it still recognizes that I'm in a trial period so there is apparently still more that must be done to prevent future license hijacking.

I'm ready to pay the $ for the Pro edition on the live site but if it means I can no longer have a test system that could be an obstacle. I'm curious what other people do about this.

Comment

So yes, you enter the license key in any other site, and it takes over the license. Only you have the license key, so it's up to you if you want to do this... Most people we have run a testing site while designing/developing, then they move it all live and activate it live. We have a few larger businesses that do have to have a full time staging and live site, in that case, you need two licenses if you want them to be active. You can always have your staging site, just leave it unlicensed though... It's sort of up to you... The licenses are so cheap, you can easily run two of them for $138, but it's not necessary I suppose on the staging to even be licensed... but most of our users just have one live site. thanks

Comment

I'm not entering the license key though, it will already be there as a result of copying the database (which will happen periodically). The question is how to prevent the test system from interfering with production. There will apparently be a way to deactivate a license but if I do that on the test system will it actually deactivate the live system?

Comment

You should be fine then if just copying files and database over... The test site will look for a license when you go to the wp easycart the first time and it will not match what we have on file for your url... so it will show unregistered I believe. You just won't enter a license when it asks to register... It will not deactivate the live site when you start up the test system. It will only take over the license if you enter it and submit it on the registration page. what matters is what url we have on file. thanks

Comment

Thanks J. I'll get the ball rolling for the upgrade.

Comment

Working...
            X