Double Order of 1 Item

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Double Order of 1 Item

We were too successful at selling advertising space on the back cover of one of our booklets. Of course, only one customer can purchase it. But two customers started the purchase only a few minutes apart. So both were able to complete the purchase and now think that they should each get the space.

There needs to be some sort of automatic lock on the quantity so only one buyer can complete the purchase.

Jon

We may revisit how it operates, currently we don't take things out of inventory until they are purchased, but it doesn't mean they are off the shelf, which increases complexity.... but I think we may look at this section again in the future.

Comment

I understand. I do have some more thoughts. I happened to be in the Store Admin with the orders panel open. I saw a new order appear with the "Third Party Pending" status. Five or so minutes later, the status updated itself to "Third Party Approved". So I can imagine two people (what is the odds of this!) starting at the same time, and actually ending at the same time submitting their order, but one choosing manual payment which simply ends the transaction with an order confirmation and one choosing to pay, which takes a few minutes longer on the PayPal site, before its transaction is complete. However, I am not sure how you would actually deal with this. I mean, Really, what are the odds that this would have happened; I wouldn't have believed it if it hadn't happened to us.

Jon

Comment

Yes, it's a hard issue with inventory tracking to solve... I know it would be nice to have something put in a cart, meaning it removes it from inventory. IF no purchase is made, it goes back into inventory (when does that apply, not sure), AND if the user removes it from their cart it goes back, etc...

Just like in a store, it would be a huge list of variables to consider, and really even more room for error if we started down that road. We have it remove items IF they get purchased, but like you experienced, if someone else purchases right along side someone else, it could take a couple out of inventory before check out is complete on the other person... we will continue to look at improving this process though.

thanks

Comment

Working...
        X